With the country in the midst of an uprising like we haven’t seen since the assassination of Dr. King, all of us need to take bold, powerful actions in support of Black leadership where we are. From the Black Panther Party to the founding conference of Critical Resistance, Black-led organizing in the Bay Area for abolition of police and prisons has inspired movements around the country and around the world. It is thanks to this organizing and Black leadership all across the US and internationally that we see moves towards defunding the police and investment in the health and well-being of Black communities.
We look to these histories and the current abolitionist organizing in the Bay Area for guidance and inspiration. Join us in throwing down for Black-led organizing against police violence in the Bay Area!
- TONIGHT – 6/3 8:05 PM at 14th and Broadway in Oakland – Join the F**k Your Curfew Action co-hosted by many key Bay Area racial justice organizations including: Anti Police-Terror Project, Black Organizing Project, Community READY Corps, Communities United for Restorative Youth Justice, Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, Causa Justa Just Cause, Oakland Rising, Bay Rising Action, Arab Resource and Organizing Center, Peoples Alliance – Bay Area, Asian Pacific Environmental Network, Bay Resistance, #AuditAhern Coalition, and Rising Tide North America. This powerful coalition is lifting up that the curfews themselves are racist policing and an example of the threat of fascism led by the White House and being advanced by the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department. Join this action; organize your friends to join too.
- THIS AFTERNOON: 6/3 4pm at Mission High School (18th and Dolores) in San Francisco: Join a youth led George Floyd Solidarity Protest & March from Mission High to the Mission Police Station
- Participate in Oakland City Council meetings and demand that we Defund OPD and Invest in Community.The Oakland City Council is poised to quietly cut over $30M from essential services in the city budget. But while the police department has taken over more and more of the city budget in recent years, the Council is leaving their budget essentially untouched, while slashing millions from the departments of Human Services, Race & Equity, and Parks, Recreation & Youth. The Oakland budget needs to be finalized by June 30th. Now is the time to demand the city council defund the police.
- Call Oakland Unified School District Board Members who have not stood for #policefreeschools. Minneapolis Public School Board just voted to terminate its contract with the Police Department. Similar resolutions are being drafted in school boards across the country. Throw down with Black Organizing Project’s campaign to get OUSD to follow this inspiring lead.
- Join Critical Resistance for their event Celebrating Juneteenth: An Abolitionist Perspective on Movements for Black Liberation of the Past and Present with Marc Lomont Hill and Charlene Carruthers to ground in the history of struggles for Black liberation. Save your virtual seat & Buy your tickets NOW!
- Check out ongoing local campaigns and find ways to get involved and stay involved:
- No SF Jail Coalition
- #AuditAhern campaign to hold the Alameda County Sheriff accountable
- Defund OPD
- Anti Police-Terror Project’s Proposal for Effective Police Oversight
- Black New Deal: Black Oakland Demands in Light of COVID-19 and Rates of Black Death
- Oakland Power Projects – Working to implement alternatives to policing in Oakland
- Drop LWOP – End Life in Prison Without the Possibility of Parole or Death by Incarceration
- Lives on the Line
- Donate to the movement:
- Support the Anti Police-Terror Project who is on the front lines organizing massive actions in this moment and is building all the time to Defund OPD
- Support the National Lawyers Guild who is out there documenting police violence against protesters, getting protesters out of jail and holding police departments accountable for their brutality.
- Give to the Bay Area: Anti-Repression Committee Bail Fund to help bail protesters out of jail.
- Donate to National Bail Out which will be doing Protest Bail Outs to bring home Black people getting locked up during this uprising for demanding a defunding of the police and rightfully expressing rage atof the state sanctioned murders of Black people.
- Support Critical Resistance’s mutual aid fund for abolition, The Zachary Project, an example of the life affirming and sometimes life saving infrastructure we need to build as we dismantle cages and policing.
- Support All of Us or None, a grassroots organization fighting for the rights of formerly and currently incarcerated people and their families.
- Support Black trans leadership by donating to TGI Justice Project
Join us in the streets, in the city council zoom meetings, in teaming up with powerful Black-led campaigns locally, and in donating to the groups that are offering leadership in this inspiring moment.